Retro sunglasses have long been a favorite among fashion enthusiasts, often making their way back into the limelight with a contemporary twist. These timeless accessories not only serve a functional purpose but can also elevate any outfit, making a bold fashion statement. In this blog post, we’ll explore how to incorporate men’s retro sunglasses and women’s retro sunglasses seamlessly into modern ensembles.
Identifying Popular Retro Sunglasses Styles
To successfully integrate retro sunglasses into your wardrobe, it’s essential to understand the various styles available. Here’s a rundown of the most popular retro sunglasses styles you’ll encounter:
Originally designed for pilots, aviator sunglasses have thin metal frames and large, teardrop-shaped lenses. This style works well with many face shapes and outfits, making it a staple in any sunglasses collection.
Choosing the Right Retro Sunglasses for Your Face Shape
A perfect fit is crucial when selecting any sunglasses, and that includes retro styles. Let’s explore which sunglasses styles best suit each face shape:
- Oval face – Those with an oval face are in luck, as most sunglasses styles suit this versatile shape. Feel free to experiment with various retro styles, from wayfarers to oversized frames.
- Round face – For round faces, angular frames like wayfarers and cat-eye sunglasses can create a slimming effect by adding some definition to the face.
- Square face – Individuals with square faces can soften their features with round or aviator sunglasses, which help to balance out strong jawlines.
- Heart-shaped face – Heart-shaped faces can benefit from cat-eye or round sunglasses, as they draw attention upward and balance out a narrower forehead with a wider jawline.
Pairing Retro Sunglasses with Modern Outfits
- Denim and sunglasses pairings – Retro sunglasses, such as aviators or wayfarers, perfectly complement denim outfits, from jeans and a t-shirt to denim jackets and skirts.
- Athleisure and sunglasses pairings – Round or oversized sunglasses can effortlessly elevate a sporty athleisure ensemble, giving it a stylish edge.
- Weekend outfits and sunglasses pairing – For a weekend brunch or a casual stroll, pair your favorite sundress or chinos with cat-eye or wayfarer sunglasses for a relaxed yet fashionable look.
Semi-formal and Professional Looks
- Office attire and sunglasses pairings – Make an impression at work by pairing sleek wayfarers or aviators with your office attire, adding a professional touch to your ensemble.
- Networking events and sunglasses pairings – Round or cat-eye sunglasses can be an excellent choice for networking events, adding a touch of personality to your polished look.
Formal and Evening Looks
- Wedding attire and sunglasses pairings – For outdoor weddings, accessorize your outfit with stylish cat-eye or oversized sunglasses, adding a touch of elegance while protecting your eyes from the sun.
- Cocktail parties and sunglasses pairings – Round or aviator sunglasses can elevate your cocktail attire, creating a sophisticated yet fun vibe for an evening event.
Accessorizing with Retro Sunglasses
Coordinating Colors and Patterns
Choose sunglasses that complement the colors and patterns in your outfit. For example, if you’re wearing a bold patterned dress, opt for a pair of solid-colored sunglasses that match one of the colors in the pattern.
Mixing and Matching Metals
If your sunglasses have metal frames or accents, consider coordinating them with other metallic accessories like jewelry, belts, or bags. Mixing metals can add depth and interest to your overall look.
Pairing With Other Accessories
- Hats – When pairing sunglasses with hats, opt for styles that work well together, like oversized sunglasses with floppy sun hats or wayfarers with baseball caps.
- Scarves – Sunglasses can create a stylish contrast when worn with scarves. For instance, cat-eye sunglasses paired with a bold printed scarf make for an eye-catching ensemble.
- Jewelry – Consider coordinating your sunglasses with your jewelry, like matching the color of your frames with your necklace, earrings, or bracelet.
Tips for Maintaining and Storing Retro Sunglasses
To keep your retro sunglasses looking their best, follow these care and storage tips:
- Cleaning and care – Clean your sunglasses regularly using a microfiber cloth and a gentle lens cleaner to prevent smudging and scratching.
- Proper storage solutions – Invest in a protective case to store your sunglasses when not in use, preventing any damage or warping.
- Handling and repair tips – Handle your sunglasses with care, always using both hands to put them on and take them off. If your sunglasses need repair, take them to a professional to ensure the best possible outcome.
Embracing personal style is what makes fashion enjoyable, and retro sunglasses provide a unique way to express your individuality. With the right pair of sunglasses and some thoughtful styling, you can create stunning modern outfits that showcase your appreciation for timeless accessories. So go ahead, experiment with different styles and outfits, and make retro sunglasses a staple in your wardrobe.
Angela Spearman is a journalist at EzineMark who enjoys writing about the latest trending technology and business news.